Board of County Commissioners

Gadsden County, Florida

Regular Public Meeting

June 6th, 2023

6:00 p.m.


Present:               Kimblin NeSmith, Chair, District 3

                                Eric Hinson, Vice-Chair, District 1

                                Alonzetta Simpkins, District 2

Brenda Holt, District 4

                                Ronterious “Ron” Green, District 5

                                Edward J. Dixon, County Administrator

                                Clayton Knowles, County Attorney

                                Adriana Quijada, Deputy Clerk



   Chair called the meeting at 6:00pm. Green provided invocation. Chair led into the Pledge of Allegiance to the U.S. Flag.


   Ms. Daniels stated they did not have any amendments to the Agenda.

Green/ Holt



1.       Recognition of Bostick Temple Christian Center, Inc.

  Ms. Daniels presented the above item.  

  Green stated there was no one there yet, so they will move it along. 


 Holt/ Green


2.       Ratification Memo

(Clerk of Court)

3.       BOCC Meeting/ Workshop Minutes:

a.       May 2, 2023 @ 4:30pm Regular Workshop/Meeting

b.       May 10, 2023 @ 4:30pm Special Meeting

c.       May 16, 2023 @ 6:00pm Regular Meeting

d.       April 12, 2023 @ 5:00PM Bicentennial Workshop

4.       Approval of the Revised Judicial Inquiry System (JIS) Inter-Agency Agreement provided through the Office of the State Courts

5.       Approval of the Security Force Southeast, LLC Agreement

6.       Medical Director Services Agreement

7.       Public Official Bond Review

8.       Approval of the Elderly Affairs Department to purchase the MySeniorCenter software, accept Xavus Solutions, LLC Purchase and License Terms agreement the annual maintenance and support fee

9.       Approval to transfer Vendor Agreements from Gadsden Senior Services to Gadsden County Board of County Commissioners



The Gadsden County Board of County Commissioners welcomes and encourages public participation at all meetings of the Board. Citizens are free to speak for up to three (3) minutes on non-agenda items. Public comments and participation are also encouraged for items on the agenda. Additionally, if you are unable to attend a meeting in person, comments from the Public can also be submitted via email to CitizensToBeHeard@gadsdencountyfl.orguntil noon on the date of the meeting. Comments submitted after the deadline, but prior to the meeting, will be added to the official record, but the County cannot guarantee that Commissioners and staff will have adequate time to review comments prior to the meeting. Citizens are further encouraged to participate via Zoom using the credentials on the County’s website. The Board’s meetings are also broadcast live on the Board’s Facebook page.

  Chair read aloud the above statement. 

Mike Watson, 2793 Sycamore Rd

  Mike Watson appeared before the Board to discuss about Sycamore Rd and how bad it needs paving. 

Michael Brown, 588 Charles Brown Lane

  Michael Brown appeared before the Board to discuss about the improvements needed at Parks in Friendship area. He wanted attention brought to them.

  Holt stated that was in her district and she has spoken with Mr. Brown about this. She stated she informed CA to evaluate all parks. They were looking at hiring someone for Parks right now.  

Hinson appeared at 6:14 pm.

  Green stated Parks and Rec was one of the things they were already working on. 

  Hinson stated they needed to have a meeting on Parks and Rec. Could maybe use COVID money on this. 

Kacy Dennis, CEO Boys and Girls Club

  Mr. Dennis appeared before the Board on behalf of the Boys and Girls Club and thanked BOCC for the funding. He stated they were there to ask for an increase to 1.25 million to purchase facility.

  Shawona Moore, Boys and Girls Club

Ms. Moore appeared before the Board to discuss more in detail about the facility.

   Ms. Becca, Boys and Girls Club

 Appeared before the Board to discuss the Club. She stated she created a committee of concerned citizens.

  Emily Lee, 1251 Woodward Rd.   

Ms. Lee appeared before the Board. She stated she joined the committee to help the community.  

  Danielle Upton 212 N Madison St, Quincy 

Ms. Upton appeared before the Board to discuss about the Boys and Girls Club being a foundation for children.

   Simpkins stated she was a big advocate for their youth. She would like to have a conversation with Mr. Dennis one on one.

  Green stated he has met with Mr. Dennis before. Wanted to thank them for coming. He stated there will be a variety of questions now that they were asking for an increase.

  Hinson stated he proposed that they have a community center on the west end of Gadsden County as well as the east. Asked if planning on purchasing facility and allowing people to lease?

  Chair stated he was not aware of increase in the asking from the Boys and Girls Club. He stated they would probably have to workshop this.

  Hinson asked if they had a location already. Mr. Dennis stated yes, it was in the packet.

  Holt stated Mr. Dennis should contact each Commissioner. Need to look at scheduling who else was going to request funding.

  Hinson stated he supported them but wanted to make sure resources go back to Gadsden County

Mr. Dennis stated all funds stay in Gadsden County.  

  Green stated the recognition of Bostick Temple Christian Center will have to happen another day due to them not being able to make it. 


10.   Approval of Resolution 2023-015 – Budget Amendments for FY 2021-2022

 Daniels presented above item.

Simpkins/ Holt



11.   Voting Credentials – 2023 National Association of Counties (NACO) Annual Conference

  Daniels presented the above item.

Green made a motion to delegate Chairman and Vice-Chairman.  

Green/ Holt


12.   Approval of Area of Operation Resolution 2023-016 Concerning Financing of an Affordable Multifamily Residential Rental

  Daniels presented the above item 

 Hinson requested a brief synopsis so community knows what’s going on.

  Daniels read the background of Item 12.

Holt/ Green


13.   Approval of Resolution 2023-017 – Budget Amendment for FY 2022-2023

  Daniels presented above item.

   Holt made motion with change of the $300,00.

Holt/ Simpkins


 Green stated he had a family emergency and will reach out to CA for his comments that he had. 


14.   Updates

No updates.


15.   Updates  

No updates.


16.   Updates

No updates.


Commissioner Alonzetta Simpkins, District 2

   Simpkins stated there is a second Town Hall meeting. Wanted to send condolences to Figgers family.

  Hinson stated they gave Ms. Figgers a proclamation. One of the sweetest ladies he has met and will be missed in the community.

  Ms. Daniels elaborated on the Housing event this weekend. Celebrating Housing month. Event scheduled for this Saturday at 10:00 am. 

  Simpkins wanted to thank the Zeta’s for recognition on Sunday for Women on The Move. 

Commissioner Brenda A. Holt, District 4

  Holt stated for them to see what the community wants on parks. Stated will be scheduling a meeting with St. John.

  Holt stated they need to do something about the large items by the road. Stated it makes the neighborhoods look bad.  She stated there were a lot of people that did not want to see items by the road.

  Simpkins stated she had a problem with individuals that don’t live in communities where they are dumping their stuff. Need to make sure they are visual and love where they live. County picks up only twice a year. Need cameras to catch who is doing the dumping.

Commissioner Ronterious Green, District 5

Green left early.

Commissioner Eric F. Hinson, District 1

  Hinson mentioned people who have passed away. He stated they need to focus on lighting in the community; mentioned solar lighting.  

   Simpkins stated she spoke with CA about the lighting. Plan was to ride her district to see where they need lighting.  

Hinson stated also needed to improve striping due to it starting to disappear in some areas.

  Hinson wanted to congratulate all the graduates.

  Hinson mentioned the Summer Youth Program. He asked if it was new that teachers have to sign. He stated there are kids with 3.9 or 4.0 GPA’s and their grandparents call them asking why their child does not have a job. He stated now they need a notary to get a job. He stated there were too many restrictions on these kids.

  Simpkins stated report cards did not go out until after the 12th so they would not know if the student had a 2.0 GPA.

  Holt stated they do need to have some stipulations on an application otherwise it was not an application. She asked if they let CA know about the GPA problem. She stated they should have asked what the application looks like. Holt asked if there was a notary in the building.

  Daniels stated there is a notary in the building. 

  Chair stated there was evidence on how he feels when it comes to the youth. He stated there are a lot of moving parts with the Youth program.

  Hinson mentioned back to school supplies. He stated One Gadsden Foundation will host a back-to-school supply drive on August 6th at the old Havana Northside High School.     

  Hinson mentioned ceilings. He stated in Hampton Heights there was a house that was refurbished by the County and less than 2 years later, the roof was leaking. They need to do what they can do as a Board to help them out.

  Hinson wanted to get the Board to approve event he is hosting on June 17th 10am to 2pm at the courthouse.

Simpkins/ Hinson


   Holt asked if there was anyone using the Courthouse that day.  Hinson said no.

  Allan Meeks appeared before the Board. He stated if they have an event at the Courthouse, they have to have a million-dollar liability insurance. If it was a county event then it would be under the County policy.

  Holt stated she had just received a text stating they were still accepting documents for the Summer Youth program. 

Holt stepped out at 7:49 pm

Chairman Kimblin E. NeSmith, District 3

  Daniels mentioned Summer Youth Program still accepting documents. Senior Benevolence will be on June 7th at DOEA. Employer Meeting for Summer Youth Program will be on June 7th.  County offices will be closed on June 19th.

Holt returned at 7:54 pm

  Chair mentioned State of the County Address that will take place on Monday at 7pm. 

  Chair mentioned an email from Chief Hood about a Grant. Wanted to thank Chief Hood for going after funding for EMS.    

   Chair stated they needed to reschedule the workshop for Hospital/ Indigent Care.


Adjourned at 8:02 pm





Place mini panel

Select format:   WMA/WMV   AAC/H264
  For mobile devices: Auto restore player panel
  Special mode for Android